As we advance in technology, scams, viruses, identity theft, ransomware and loss of information are becoming popular. That said, computer users need to be more careful and adopt measures which keep them safe online. This article will give you some tips which will help you and your loved ones stay safe online. Read on and share.
How to keep your computer, tablet, and smartphone clean
- Make sure that your device is on the latest software. Software updates come with enhancements and security updates.
- Your software security, commonly known as antivirus should be kept up to date. It is only the latest version of security software that will identify the latest malware and virus. Smartphone owners think this point is directed to computer and laptop owners, but your smartphone needs an antivirus as well.
- Scan all the external devices. Before opening any external device be it a USB or a hard drive, please scan it. This is the only way to make sure that external viruses do not get into your computer.
Be web savvy online
- Watch out for any suspicious links and attachments. When the doubts are too much, delete it. Cybercriminals use links in emails, SMS, posts, and advertisements to access your computer. Delete, mark as junk or block any suspicious attachments.
- If you love shopping online, it is important to protect your bank details. Make sure that the websites you are using have secure socket layer. SSL protects your passwords and banking details.
- Beware of phishing. This is when cybercriminals mask genuine websites with theirs to steal your confidential logins. Unless you requested, never click on requests to verify your passwords.
- Avoid the usage of public WIFI hotspots. At times you will have to use them but advance your security level. Set your computer such that the antivirus and software can adjust accordingly after connecting to public WIFI networks. Turn off the WIFI to public networks immediately you are done using.
Protect your personal information
- Your passwords must be kept complex. Do not use generic passwords online. Complicate it with the use of symbols, numbers and upper and lower case characters. If you make it too hard to remember, install secure password manager to keep track.
- Make use of two-step verification. This feature makes it more difficult to access your online information. In case the criminal already got your password, they will not be able to access the account if they do not have access to your other devices.
Make sure that your photos, data, documents, video and any other digital information is backed up.